Suspect arrested after allegedly killing mechanic in Osun

Suspect arrested after allegedly killing mechanic in Osun

A 40-year-old motor mechanic, Mohammed Badmus, has been killed by a guard at Ibuowo Estate, Okinni, Osun state.

A co-tenant to the deceased, Hammed Oparinde, in an interview with Sunday PUNCHalso alleged the theft of N300,000 the deceased wanted to use to buy an engine for a vehicle he was working in his pocket as of the time he was killed.

Speaking on what transpired between the deceased and the night guards, reportedly employed by the community, Oparinde said Badmus left a birthday party at about midnight Saturday and headed home when he was accosted by the guards on duty.

He claimed that the guards used a machete to beat the deceased as they walked him home, adding that they allowed him to open the door to his house through the backyard and waited for him at the main entrance.

“Badmus entered his house through the backyard and came out from the main door to prove to the guards that he was the owner of the house. But despite that, one of the guards fired a shot which hit Badmus on the chest. He died on the spot. Before his death, he had planned a trip to Lagos today (Saturday) to buy an engine for a vehicle.

“He had N300,000 for the engine on him, but we could not find the money. We only saw his phone. His remains had been deposited at the morgue of the University of Osun Teaching Hospital, Osogbo. Badmus was married and had three children. The oldest is about five years old,” Oparinde added.

A source in the community, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter, said the four guards that were on duty on Friday had been arrested by the police.

Contacted, the state police spokesperson, Yemisi Opalola, confirmed the incident and said a guard, Moshood Rasaq, had been arrested in connection with the crime.

She said, “It was reported to us that Rasaq used his dane gun to shoot one Mohammed Badmus, aged 40 and he died instantly. The suspect has been arrested and the gun used recovered by the police. The corpse has been taken to the University of Osun Teaching Hospital morgue for autopsy. Investigation is ongoing.”

Comments are closed.